Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Joy


I know that I have experienced every human emotion in life, but when I was younger, I was bewildered or overwhelmed by emotions. I didn't know what I was experiencing. Often they were alien or threatening. I didn't know their names or what to do with them.  

Intellectually, I know that Christians are supposed to be joyful, and I have often wondered, where is the joy in my life? But recently, a female friend in the Communion and Liberation movement was talking about joy, and I said,"I don't know what joy is." 

She responded, "I don't know about that." In the week or two afterwards, I found myself wondering about joy, and I realized that she was right. I have experienced joy numerous times. It happens whenever I am touched by something or someone. It happens in the smallest things in life, and it often brings me to tears, much to my embarrassment. It happens when I see grace and meaning in people's lives. Sometimes it renders me speechless, because I know I wouldn't be able to talk without bursting into tears. I have learned that one does not seek joy itself, but rather, joy comes as the fruit of experiencing truth, beauty, goodness. 

Have a joyful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment