Sunday, August 19, 2018

PTSD

When I was a child, the Morgans lived three doors down from us.  Mr. Morgan had white hair, a white beard, and was older than my grandfather.  The few times I saw him, he was either just sitting on his front porch or tending to the flowers in his front yard.  My mother told me Mr. Morgan had been a veteran of World War I and had shell shock, which she explained resulted from experiencing the traumatic horrors of war. She explained that some people didn't believe in shell shock, that they believed that victims faked the symptoms because they were looking for attention or special treatment.  My mother said this to me with a look on her face and a tone in her voice that conveyed the utmost compassion for Mr. Morgan.  My mother's compassion taught me that shell shock was real, that it was serious, and that victims deserved our utmost compassion.

No comments:

Post a Comment