Monday, August 8, 2016

Binge Listening to Mr. Robot Demons Again

I have yet to see an episode Mr. Robot (USA Channel, Re-runs on Amazon Prime) /

A music video of  Mr. Robot Demons

I stand accused and convicted, of over-analyzing stuff.

Yes, the Christian (and human!) themes in this video.  I love it.  One when I was in my mid-forties, as a project I decided to pray all 150 psalms in a row, one per night.  After 150 days, I came away with a sense of complete dependence on God for all things.  (Think of David in the Psalms, running and hiding in in the rocks and caves in the mountains, desperately trying to escape the assassins.  And his gratitude for his life.) 

"When I see your heavens, the work of your fingers,
The moon and the stars that you set in place--
What are humans that you are mindful of them,
Mere mortals that you care for them?
(Psalms 8:4-5)

Not to be high and mighty, or self-righteous--condemned by the Psalms--but since then, after much thinking--I think to a flaw--and observing people and life--I'm ultra weak in that department--I have come to the conclusion that all spiritually mature people have an experiential knowledge and understanding of being completely dependent on God.   If you don't believe in the monotheistic God, you can substitute words like the Infinite, the Universe, or equivalent. 

Of the above and other Mr. Robot videos, through the visuals and the setting, I relate to the guy, though I am not, was never, aggressive or even assertive like he is.  Elliot lives in NYC where I did live for 7 years.   I get the anonymity, the loneliness, etc. but also the personal freedom, autonomy.  I've known a few Elliots. 

Empathy and sympathy are not the same, and I am not sure which one I have towards him, perhaps both.  But compassion.

In the video, the song is an expression of Elliot's inner life. Note it is sung by a female voice,  one very feminine in intonation and self-consoling emotion. Observe that Elliot is a male and not an effeminate one, but his inner life is expressed as feminine. The ancient Greeks believed that a person's soul contained male and female elements, which they called the Animus and Anima (and which explains a lot of things about people).  Without analyzing too much, the video feels like an expression of vulnerability.  The insight is to make the connection between vulnerability and dependency on the Infinite.  Elliot--hiding desperately in the caverns of Silicon Alley-- is terrified of emotional intimacy; yet, he does not succumb to despair.

Where do your demons hide?
"Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."
(Mt 5:3)

No comments:

Post a Comment